Electrical Wiring in the Home/Using Electrical Wire to Heat Metal

Question
Hey Ben,

I'm willing to bet this is one of the stranger questions you've been asked recently. First, a bit of context. I'm a screenwriter currently adapting a spy novel for the big screen. I was hoping you could help with a scene.

As briefly as possible, my Spy character is confined to a hotel room. To ensure no-one sneaks into the room, he tied dental floss (the only thing available in the room) to the door handle. The other end to his wrist. That way, as he sleeps, if anyone opens the door it will tug at his arm.

But for the story, someone needs to get into the room. My first thought is if the person outside could somehow heat the other side of the metal door handle hot enough, it could burn through the dental floss tied to the handle on the other side.

This is where my question comes in.

First of all, within the confines of movie logic, is this possible? Could heating one side effect (conduct to) the other side.

I have to take into account that the person trying to get in is acting on instinct so only has whatever might be in a hotel hallway at the time. So my thought is, they could cut the wire to a lamp and coil it to heat the metal handle. Would that work? Would it get hot enough to burn though the floss on the other side? If not, is there anything else that could be used?

I know this question is a bit out of left field but with the connection to Electrical Wiring I hoped it would still apply. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Alex

Answer
Alex
First of all there have been stranger questions we have asked.

it is a possibility that if the build door is installed on a wood frame you can then energize the steel door making sure that the door system has no ground like to the building or any other grounding. Then one would strip a lamp cord wire then they would need to take the hot side of the wire and wrap it around the handle and then plug it into a wall outlet.The only thing that would happen now that if someones touches the door they will get shocked because they are completing the circuit. The Dental floss is not a conductor so it would never burn thats the problem.

P.S add me as a Character In the book LOL
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Ben