Electrical Wiring in the Home/3 way hall light with ft porch light

Question
I have 2 switches on the wall inside my front door. One switch controls the ft. porch light outside, the other switch controls the foyer lights, which is a 3 way and can be turned on from the kitchen too.  there are (3) separate wires inside the box- they are: (2) 14/3 w/ground, and a 14/2 with ground. only one wire is hot inside the box- a black on one 14/3.
I changed the switch and tried to install designer switches. Ft. porch light doesnt work now .I guess its a type of 3-way circuit with a line for the ft. porch?

Answer
Professional electrical wiring never involves guesswork.
The most likely scenario is that the 3-wire with the hot black goes to the foyer light, where the hot comes from the kitchen switch box or a receptacle.
That black is supposed to feed both switches. Were there splices you took apart?
With those wires, the way I would have used them would be:
3-wire from foyer light
 Black- hot feed to front switch box connected to white of other 3-wire for 3-way (to carry feed to other switch) with black tail to feed single-pole for front door
 White neutral for front door light
 Red to 3-way switch common to control foyer light

2d 3-wire
 White hot, black and red travelers

2-wire
 White neutral to white of foyer light 3-wire
  Black to load side of single pole switch.

Built about 3, 000 houses wired that way
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber