You are here:

Electrical Wiring in the Home/Converting recessed 4-pin can lights


How do I replace my recessed can lights that use a "PL26W 3U 4P GX24q-3 26 watt 835 Fluorescent" bulb to screw-in recessed or pendant? I have heard that I need to "bypass the ballast"... Thank you so much!

What you heard may be correct. It depends on the bulb manufacturers bulb. Most CFL replacements of this type have the ballast as part of the unit with the bulb. In this case it would work with line voltage and the can would need to be pulled down, the ballast removed and line voltage connected to the screw in socket as directed in the installation for the socket. Thanks J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


J Cook


General electrical wiring, including but not limited to, residential, panelboards, control wiring, low voltage wiring, Heating and A/C control wiring, single and three phase wiring.


I have been doing electrical since high school. I have been licensed by the State of North Carolina for ten years and am currently the Building Maintenance Superintendent for a municipality. I have extensive control wiring experience.

Refrigeration Service Engineers Society.

©2017 All rights reserved.