Electrical Wiring in the Home/Sharing a neutral wire

Hi Bob,
I plan to bring 2-20 amp circuits to a part of my house using 12-3 wire. Will sharing the neutral wire on both circuits be a problem using GFCI outlets? Thanks for any advice.

If you use GFCIs after the split, it will not be a problem.  You can not use them before the split.

While you save money with a shared neutral, it can be a problem. If the neutral becomes disconnected, the two circuits will be in series with each other at 220 volts, which will damage whatever is on the circuits.  Make sure you use a double pole breaker, so that no one gets shocked with one breaker on, and one off.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.