Electrical Wiring in the Home/using a generator to run a cottage

Question
Hi Ben, I need your help. I am trying to use a 2000 watt Honda generator to power my new cottage. I have completed all the wiring ( a few plugs and lights), using a small 100 amp panel to connect my generator.  I have connected a plug circuit to one breaker and have three separate lights to three separate breakers (all 15 amp using 14-2).  

In my panel, I have taken a piece of 10-3 (the only wire I had available) and run it to a 15 amp receptacle outside. I have made a 10 foot heavy duty extension cord with two male ends.  I use this to connect my generator to my panel. As a note: I have not used the red wire in the 10-3 in the panel or the receptacle....it is capped and taped on both ends. the black is connected to the load side of the double pull 100 amp main.

Test time....I started my generator, connected the extension cord, and turned on the main. One by one I tested each plug and light, however, I noticed that once I turned off a switch that operated any of the lights, my generator would idle up as if it were under load.  Once I turned the switch back on, the light would come on and my generator would resume slow idle, or eco-mode.  I immediately, turned off the breaker and have not used it since.  

At this point, I have not yet installed a grounding rod/plate. Also, the panel I am using, was once used as a pony panel in my small 200 amp home service(since upgraded to a larger panel), therefore the bonding lug has been removed.  Would either of these have caused the aforementioned symptoms. Or do you see any other possible sources for the generator idle up?

What are your thoughts....

Answer
Wade
first you should use the 240 volts of the generator hook it up to the 100 amp panel, does this panel have utility power already in it? Whenever you add a load or remove a load your generator will change rpm's go up or down the reason is it has a auto governor system on it without that your generator will run at a high rpm with no load and not good for the generator.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Ben