Electrical Wiring in the Home/Basement lights

Question
I am finishing off my partially finished basement.  I have added 5 zones of can ligts in different areas.  I would like to have a switch at the top of the stairs to turn off any of the lights that might have been left one, ect... by the kids (or Me:))  SO at each zone I would like to install a dimmer light switch and the ability to turn them on at the bottom of the stairs where I can run wiring (The top is not that easy as its been finished (I could get wire there but I have to come from the bottom up).  So at the top a light switch for the hall light and a swuitch to turn on the bottom level lights) then at the bottom of the stairs a switch to turn off/on the stair light and a bank for the zones to turn off and on any of the zones), then 1 switch in each zone to dim and turn off each zone).  I have read about lestron switch that has a on then buttons for each zone and a off, but imm not sure how $$ that would be for the total package as I cant tell whats needed down stream from that on that type of a solution.  Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Answer
The problem you will encounter is you are looking at a four way switch installation. Even though one is a dimmer, you have three switch points or a four way switch circuit and I do not know of a four way dimmer. There may be one, but I am not aware of it. You may consider just having a motion sensor turn all of the lights off in the zones and having one light with a switch top and bottom for basement access.

Thanks J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook