Electrical Wiring in the Home/Changing to a light switch outlet combo

I am trying to replace a simple light switch with a Pass & Seymour TM818TR-WCC6 switch outlet combo. I have removed the old switch there were 2 black wires attached to one side of the switch, and abare copper ground wire. The new switch has 2 black screws on one side, and the other side has 1silver and 1 brass screw and a ground post on top. I have connected the ground, and tried different connetions with the 2 black wires and I can make the light work or the plug worth but not both. There are 2 white wires nutted together do I need to employ one of them? And how?

Yes, you will need to use the white wires.  The black wire coming in will connect to the side that has a bridge. Do not break the bridge.  The black wire going to the light will go on the other side near the switch (dark color screw).  Now, you need to get a short piece of house wire, and connect it to the wire nut with the other whites and connect the other end to the silver colored screw.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.