Electrical Wiring in the Home/earth ground as neutral wire

Question
I wish to add a duplex outlet in my pantry adjacent to a light switch. The problem is that this switch has only a hot switch wire  and a ground wire with no white neutral wire.  Can I tap onto the hot wire and then use the earth wire as my neutral in the new duplex outlet?  I see no real problem with this as both the earth ground and the neutral wires in the main panel are connected together anyway.  Your thoughts? Please explain fully. Thank you,  Rob in Wisconsin

Answer
Rob,

The simple answer is no you can not.

The ONLY time voltage/current is supposed to be on the bare grounding wire in Romex cable or on the spiraling exterior metal covering of BX cable is when there is a short circuit condition. These components in each respective cable assembly are there for that purpose only. Except in the case of BX the outer metal covering is also there to protect the wires inside the cable.

If you were to do what you propose it would create a potentially dangerous condition. Neutral current from the receptacle would be traveling back to the panel in a way that no one would be aware of or expect. In other words if anyone were to take apart the ground wires in any j box up stream of the receptacle you want to add, they would be interupting the neutral current from the receptacle going back to the panel and subject to potential shock. Like wise if it were BX cable and some one removed the BX cables from a J box up stream towards the panel they would also be interupting the current flow on the metal cable and subject to potential shock.  

So while its true the Neutral (white wire) and bare ground wires are connected together in a common location in the MAIN panel,they can not be connected together any where beyond that which is what you would in effect be doing.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman