Electrical Wiring in the Home/furnace conversion from gas to electric

Question
I'm installing a new air handler (Goodman MBR 2000) in my home. I ordered a 15 kw heat strip kit (HKA-15C) to put in it. The kit has 2 breakers inside the air handler. (a 50 amp and a 25 amp) Instead of running 2 circuits with a #6 for the 50amp and a #10 for the 25amp they make a terminal block (SPW-01) to just run one circuit from the breaker panel to the air handler. I'm not sure if this just a terminal block, a power distribution terminal, or what so I'm trying to find out if I will need to run a larger wire than a #6 from panel to handler. a Guy from Hacy HVAC Supply has told me that all I need is the#6 and a 60amp in the breaker box. That the sequencers will rotate the heat strips where it won't ever pull more than 50amps. It seems like if I am using 15kw all three strips will be on together? I need to find out exactly what size wire and breaker I need to install the SPW-01 to keep me from running 2 lines. I donít want to run a #6 and find out it's not big enough. Would you please help me?

Answer
Eldon,

15KW divided by 240 = 62.5 amps. As you can see a 60 amp line to the heater will not be enough if both heat "stages" run at the same time. Assuming that is the case you would need to run  a 4-2 Romex to the heater  with an 80 amp breaker. As a matter of fact I just looked this unit up on the internet and thats exactly what they call for, an 80 amp line for this particular unit and they say it is a 2 "stage" heater meaning either one or both heating elements (25 or 50) is operating together or separately. Its not clear which element is the one that operates by itself as one of the two stages but my guess would be the bigger one.

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman