Electrical Wiring in the Home/installation of 220 for a dryer..

Question
I have an apartment and don't have a 220 hook up. My fiance wants a dryer. My questions is. Can I hook up 220 without running a new line from the breaker box? Can I take two 110 lines from inside the apartment and create 220? I know this is retarded and probably should not even be a thought in my head but I know how bad she wants a dryer and we ll be moving soon so I don't really care to be putting a bunch of money into something permanent. Can it be done?

Answer
Brandon,

Retarded would be attempting it without asking.

Let me ask this, do you have a 110 outlet large enough to handle a dryer?

The problem is finding a dedicated 15 amp circuit, but often much easier than running 220.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/SPWD1800.html

This one is 15 amps on the nose,    

http://www.compactappliance.com/Summit-115-Volt-Clothes-Dryer-White/SPD1205.html

I have personally had a lot of luck with this compact appliance company,   good prices sales,  so on,      

I would exhaust any and all efforts to find a suitable 115 volt dryer  before the expense of running a 220 line, which is apparently and most often is a problem in an apartment,  

Next most will say  oh  115 volts will cost you a million bucks   not so,    

Here is how that works out,  

If a 220 dryer needs 7.5 amps to run,   the same dryer on 115 volts will need 15 amps,   the power used is volts times amps,  both end up the same.

There may be a slight efficiency difference but the ROI is not a consideration,    power is power,      

The only way to get 220 is at the breaker box  from a 220 breaker,  no way you can parallel two 115 volt lines or series 115 lines to get your 230 or 220 volts,       

The best solution is to find a 115 volt unit, and hopefully you have an outlet that will handle probably close to 15 amps,      

Now that circuit can be used when the dryer is not on, but you probably really want it dedicated to the dryer,        

give either place a call,  you will have to investigate the breakers available and outlets available to her,   but if you can isolate one for your dryer,   much simpler,  

And I would also give craigs list  and other local papers a look,    often because people do own these  and move from apartments,   have them for sale with not much use for a real decent price, that probably fits your situation best  and there is normally a ton for sale          

But either place I have given you the link to will have many options for you,     

No chance you have gas available?

They do have ventless    high dollar,  but another option,      

You did the right thing and asked,    there are no retarded questions,    there are clothes lines,   and with a little imagination maybe a combination of both would help the situation,  

Any problems let me know,      sorry for the delay I have been way DOWN with this damn flu and not much good to anyone for a while,   

Good luck and again, if you need anything   follow up whatever,  let me know,     

Will
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt