Electrical Wiring in the Home/Old Wiring

Question
hi. I'm replacing an exterior light fixture. The house is old and has knob and tube wiring. When I took the old fixture off I noticed that there were two hot wires and one neutral. Of course there is no ground and no color coding since it is knob and tube. The old fixture had two bulbs so the two hot wires coming from the house and the two hot ones coming from the fixture were all spliced together in one cap. I want to replace it with a one bulb fixture. Can I splice the one hot wire from the fixture to the two hot from the house which are already twisted together or should I cap one of the hots from the house and only splice to one?

Answer
Henry,

The two "hot" wire's twisted together coming from the house says to me there is another light fixture besides the one your replacing that is controlled by the same switch or at least there was another fixture at one time. Having said that you would indeed splice the one "hot" (black) wire from the fixture to the two "hots" from the house.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman