Electrical Wiring in the Home/RV generator to house hookup

Hello Bob;
  My question involves using the 4000 watt Onan generator that is installed on my RV to supply me with power for some household essentials during a power outage.
  Would I be able to plug in a heavy duty 20 foot long double male power cord from an outside RV receptacle to an outside house receptacle, that is on a 20 amp breaker, and then flip off the house main and other un-necessary breakers except the ones controlling a refrigerator, two heater circulators, (baseboard, 1/25 HP .71 amps;  and hot water, .74 amps), an electric range top, (just one element at a time) and 3 or 4 low wattage light bulbs?
  If this too simplistic or a dangerous solution, what would be the safe and correct way to go about getting the power into my home from the generator?
  Thanks for any response.
Bill Shera

You should not do it that way.  You risk a fire, shock, ruining the generator, and even shocking a utility worker.

The only safe way is to use a generator transfer switch.  This would require having a sub panel.  The only other way is to use things that you can plug into the generator.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.