Electrical Wiring in the Home/Bulbs burning out quickly?

Question
Hi, we live in a 10 year old manufactured home. There are two sets of track lighting in the kitchen with bulbs in enclosed fixtures (not recessed lighting). A couple of months ago we turned on the kitchen lights and three of them burned out at the same time. We replaced those three but since then they have been burning out at a rate of one every few weeks or so. Is this a problem that requires an electrician? My main concern is that there might be a fault in the wiring that could be a fire hazard. This does not happen anywhere else in the house and I haven't noticed anything else alarming, like buzzing sounds, electrical smells, the circuit breaker tripping or anything like that. The only problem is these bulbs burning out all the time in those two sets of track lighting.

Thanks!

Answer
Beckie,

With enclosed fixture's the heat from the lamp is contained with in the fixture. The heat can only disipate through the fixture enclosure at a certain rate and the size of the lamp you can use is based on that disipation rate so you don't have a fire or burn out the lamp prematurely. So its very important to adhere to the listed bulb wattage capacity for that particular fixture. In other words if the fixture is rated for 60 watts and your using 100 the bulbs will not only burn out quickly but premature damage to the sockets will occurr. Over time the heat from the lamps degrade the sockets to the point where you will begin to burn out lamps quickly. This is what could also be going on here. So check your wattage and if your OK there then you may have sockets that are worn out and you can either replace them if the fixture is worth doing that or just buy new track heads.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman