Electrical Wiring in the Home/dryer flipping breaker immediately

Question
i just got a newer dryer. it was plugged in and working at the former owners house. i get it to my house and find i have to change the outlet. i switched the 3 prong 220 outlet to a 4 prong 220 outlet. an electrician checked my work and said it looked great. but when i plug in the dryer it instantly pops and flips the breaker. i had a 50 amp breaker in place but the dryer was flipping it. so after some research i replaced it with a 30 amp breaker. dryer still flips breaker immediately on plugging in. what is happening? is problem with dryer? if so where? or what?

Answer
Monica,

I would feel better if your electrician  took a meter and figured out the problem   the problem with looking only is  assumptions the colors are correct,   

Please watch :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6R7b4QiZNs

By going from a 50 amp to a 30 amp is actually only effective as a test when the dryer is operational.

One thing you could try,   Remove all the wiring   isolate each wire with a piece of slip over insulation   this has to be done correctly it is fairly simple  but each wire should be OPEN or in other words  electrically isolated from one wire to the next to the next to the next to the next to anything else,     like a big sock over each wire so no possible way it could conduct hanging out in open air.

Make sure the circuit is off,  but the only POSITIVE way to know that is with a meter,   

If you are concerned you might not understand the terminology  then best to get a trained electrician    the change from 50 to 30 amp is actually in the wrong direction and also meaningless as a test.

When the breaker trips instantly that means the breaker is seeing a high current  most likely a hot to ground or hot to neutral  or both

If you somehow or the colors were wrong from the breaker,  then the electrician could look but say it is great    but he would have to assume the colors were correct.

When you have all four isolated you know if the breaker trips something is wrong in the path to the dryer,   

That eliminates the dryer up to that point.

Once the error is corrected and the wires when isolated in space, no longer trip ANY breaker now we move to the dryer.

If the wires are proven to be correct[after exchanging positions or finding a problem in the wire itself] and now are correct,  wired correctly to the dryer, and with the dryer wired up properly  and the breaker trips  now you know you had actually two problems  an incorrect wiring path , and something wrong with the dryer,

Watch the video and use my private email and ask away   it is a lot to understand,  but I will try to help you step by step,    

Again for no more than it should cost   it would be much safer if an electrician did this   

I am suspecting the dryer being even newer and running at the seller had maybe a ground removed and let the dryer run,  but when both the neutral and the ground are connected it will trip a breaker , meaning something is internally wrong with the dryer likely at the terminal board,  or it could be from the terminal board to the interior of the dryer,  

I think the dryer is seeing a direct short from hot to ground,  somewhere    but the challenge is to isolate the dryer from the wiring to find if both are bad or just one .

Watch the video and then let me know,   what you decide to do this should be a very simple and fast diagnostic check by an electrician.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt