Electrical Wiring in the Home/electrical

Advertisement


Question
I bought a home 6 months ago?  A couple outlets didn't work. Then 2 weeks ago we had a storm and lost power for 5 hours. Since them the lights flicker all the time. If we use the toaster they all get bright. When I shower and touch the metal I get a little shock. Called power Co they came out and said it is something in the house. House built in 76. Please any suggestions.  Can't afford to have someone come out right now,  just had to install a new air and heat unit after moving in

Answer
This is a fire hazard which could cause your house to burn down, so you need to get someone to come out.  The neutral is loose, and the electricity is using the ground wire to complete circuit. It could also cause a fire at a neighbor's house.  You could also get electrocuted using a faucet.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Bob Sponaugle

Expertise

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.