Electrical Wiring in the Home/Electrical Wiring

Question
Hi, I have a wall, on the inside of the house at the bottom of this wall is an outlet and I would like to add a motion sensitive light on the outside at the top of this wall.
I would like to draw electricity from that outlet to a light switch then from the light switch to the motion sensitive light on the outside.
The electrical wire on the outlet is a yellow (12/2 NM-B Wire) and not white (14/2 NM-B Wire). Can I connect my White (12/2 NM-B Wire) to the outlet and take that to the light switch then another White (12/2 NM-B Wire) to the notion sensitive light?

Does the color of the wire matter? Do I need to only use the yellow (12/2 NM-B Wire)?

Thank you for any help.

Answer
Cable sheathing color doesn't matter
However, the fact that the cable is yellow, as you observed 12/2, suggests that this source receptacle is probably kitchen, dining room or some other appliance circuit. If so, It should not be used as a lighting feed.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber