Electrical Wiring in the Home/GFCI installed not working

Question
QUESTION: I replaced a GFCI outlet with a new one and followed all the instructions and wired it exactly the same as the old one. The indicator light is on but the outlet still isn't working, the test and reset buttons aren't working have any ideas what could be wrong?? Thanks in advance!!

ANSWER: Jeff,

Yes,  it wouldn't surprise me a little to find the new outlet is bad,  right from the new box,  but I have a question,     why was the old GFCI replaced?   GFCI outlets are pretty much not changed out anymore than a regular outlet, so what went wrong with it?    

Are we repeating the mistakes of someone BEFORE YOU?

Let me know what the entire situation is,     the brand of the new GFCI    how long you know or think the outlet has been installed,  what went wrong,  does it trip often,    any and all history so I can get an idea of what the whole picture is,        

QUESTION: Nothing was wrong with the old gfci outlet, my wife painted the kitchen and wanted all outlets and switches to match the only one not workin is the gfci and the other plugs on the same circuit. The brand is a Leviton from Home Depot.

Answer
Hmmmm,

Did you look on the back where the terminals are labeled line and load?   Those have to be in the right spot and the scribbing in the back is often hard to read     make sure you have line and load in the right terminals,    see the you tube video below  for more info  

if you are positive the wiring is exactly the same  put the old one back in temporary  see if it works,   if it works,  you got a bad Leviton    which is the brand I buy mostly   but
I have a bad three way dimmer right now,   Leviton   from either Lowes or Home Depot, it is intermittent     sometimes it works sometimes it don't     drives me nuts,  I am going for another brand next time, and here soon,   

It is pretty simple  if the Leviton  wont work and the original will,   then it is bad out of the box  there is nothing else to check      

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCkQFjAB&url   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc9f6iea1s0  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt