Electrical Wiring in the Home/gfi

Question
I have installed many GFI's. I recently installed one on a deck for a friend and they had just had their kitchen redone. I noticed the indicator light on the counter GFI's was on. Every GFI I have ever installed has an indicating light near the test button which comes on when tripped or if the GFI is mis-wired. They have two GFI's in their kitchen which have an indicator in the corner of the receptacle. It is on when the GFI is reset and goes off when it is tripped. I have been looking, and the new Leviton's have some self checking feature I have never dealt with. Is this a new and different indication for GFI's?
The one I installed has an indicator that is out when reset and on when tripped. The installation instructions says that is correct.

Answer
Tony,  somewhere I have a better chart, but this QA should explain,  as typical it is a design thing,  

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=136616

YOu now have options  for what indicator, so mixed manufacturer GFCIs and mixed by vintage, along with manufacturer won't be consistent,   

But good question,  just use your tester to make sure all is OK with the wiring,   and if you want  everything to be the same,   you have to put in identical units,     very confusing,   but the conversation above will explain      at least you are paying attention,     

Sales and marketing probably has more to do with the differences, than anything,   now you have to remember what is what,   so the natural instinct is to go buy all new to make things the same,    it is another hidden scam everyday,  but at least you were on it,     maybe some tracer colored tape over the light might be a short cut,   

Just do you thing and make sure the wiring is correct,  I guess You could make up a cheat sheet for the user,      shame but something to remember in the future,    

Good question  that probably hundreds or thousands never asked,   so you helped more than you think     

Will
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt