Electrical Wiring in the Home/replacing light switch


I need to replace a switch but I have a house with aluminum wiring, the switch instructions have a warning to use copper conductors only.
Is there any other type of switch?

There are switches made for aluminum wiring and they are called "CO/ALR" switches.

Tip: Do not try to straighten out the old curved end of the aluminum wire because every time you bend it you move it closer to breaking. Instead, cut off the curved end right where the curve begins. If you are going to bend the new end try to bend it only once.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Greg Hughes


Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.


34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.