Electrical Wiring in the Home/sylvania box

Question
225amp
225amp  
Hello there Bob,
I have an older 225amp sylvania box and breakers. have a 90amp double (furnace), 30amp double (H2O heater) and two 20amp double for lights and receptacles. I would like to add a line for a fridge 20amp single pole, two lines for additional lights and receptacles both 20amp and a 40amp double for a stove. Is this too much for the box to handle?
Thanks
Marc

Answer
Marc,

Your panel indeed says its rated for 225 amps but that doesn'
t necessarily mean its being supplied with 225 amps. In other words its possible that its being supplied by a 200 amp breaker not 225. It could even be a 150 amp breaker. Its hard to tell from the picture exactly what size the wire is and if its copper or aluminum. See if you can find out what size the Main breaker is then I can answer your question.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman