Electrical Wiring in the Home/Basement outlets

Question
I've lived in my home for 3 and a half years.  My sump pump has just started tripping the GFI oultlet about every 48 hours.  Some times when the pump turns on but sometimes even when its not running.  I plugged the sump pump into a regular 15 amp outlet for 10 days without it tripping a circuit breaker.  My question is: Can I change the GFI to a regular outlet in the basement in Sussex County Delaware?

Answer
As long as the outlet is not readily accessible, you don't need a GFCI for a sump pump.  If that is the only outlet in the basement (or in that area), you may want to leave the GFCI there, and then run a wire closer to the pump without a GFCI, so that no one plugs anything else into it.  Best to use a single outlet rather than a duplex.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle