Electrical Wiring in the Home/Breaker panel

Question
We are looking to buy a house in VA. During our walk through I noticed the breaker panel is on the outside of the house on the deck....is this allowed? There is not cover or shelter other than the metal panel.

Thank you in advance

Answer
You should look at the panel and see if it says weatherproof, or approved for wet locations. You can always get the model number and contact the manufacturer (or just Google the number) and see if it was meant for outside.  It still sounds like it would be a pain, if you have to go outside to reset a breaker. If it is made by Federal Pacific (FPE), it would need to be replaced anyway.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle