Electrical Wiring in the Home/Ceiling Fan Instalation

Question
I am switching out a ceiling fan to a new remote control model.

When I removed the old fan I found 2 black wires and 2 white wires coming from the box.

I hooked the wires up just as they were before with both black wires from the box going to the hot from the receiver and both white wires from the box going to the neutral from the receiver.

The fan and light are not working.

From what I have read this appears to be a switch loop connection coming from the switch. Should I have done something different with the additional Black and White wires (capped them off maybe?).

Thanks

Answer
Hi.

If you connect the blacks together, and the whites together, and the fan is on when the switch is off, and turning on the switch trips the breaker, then you have a switch loop.  The white wire coming in from the power connects to the white fan wire. The black wire coming in connects to either wire going to the switch and the other switch wire connects to the black fan wire. Put a piece of tape on the white wire going to the switch to show it is a hot wire.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle