Electrical Wiring in the Home/Electrical switch voltages are just... wrong

Question
I recently changed a light switch in my living room, and did so by just wiring the new switch just like the old one, with the black wire to the top terminal and the white wire to the bottom one (the ground is unconnected).  Ever since then, a little farther along the same wall in the living room, another switch stopped working.

I tried replacing that switch, and still the light wouldn't work.  The ground wire in the box isn't connected, it just runs out of the box.  I got a Fluke voltmeter out to check the wiring voltages, and got the following results:

From black to white (connected to the switch with the switch open) I measured 84Vac.
From White to Ground, 123 Vac.
From Black to Ground, 18Vac.

Any idea what's going on??  I'm so confused :(

Answer
Dean   

First of all do you understand what a switch leg is?    It is basically a hot wire  brought to the switch and the switch opens and closes the ONE HOT WIRE   that is it,       

A white wire to a switch should have a black mark, black tape  something on it to identify it as a switch wire,   which again is just one wire   making a detour if you will     from the main power to the load, light whatever.

If you measure across a true switch leg,     there would be no voltage it is ths same wire,   only to ground or neutral would you measure anything,     

Look this video over and then see if that helps,   then get back to me,   I am in the process of selling my two businesses and not able to give the attention I need to    so bare with me, or I will get someone else to help,   but yes it sounds like someone BEFORE YOU made a mess    and that is the worst to diagnose,    so take a look at the video,  and then we will talk again,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt