Electrical Wiring in the Home/Generator

Question
Good Day Will!

As I know nothing about electricity, I want to ask what kind of Generator I should buy to power a cottage in which we have 7 lights, 1 small fridge, 1 microwave, 1 hotplate with 2 coils(small double pot heater), 4 portable electric space heaters, toaster and coffeemaker, TV, and a radio.

Thank you,

George

Answer
George,

fair enough,  OK  are you wanting gasoline driven, natural gas, propane what is the best method for a driver    driver=motor, gas engine, natural gas engine, diesel engine so on,   

Then we size the POWER NEEDED    amps to amps is NOT THE Way it is sized,    a generator or power center is sized considering the TYPES of loads     induction loads such as motors or devices with motors, some heaters have   what is called IN RUSH CURRENT  only for a few seconds on start up but has to be considered in sizing the generator or even the distribution center and breakers,        

I would start to thing along these lines,    a generator,   a battery bank,   some type or brand of solar,  that can be added to,    a breaker box,     and as you can wean off fuel and start storing solar, or wind energy    at least consider designing this with that in mind if this is a long term situation        

If it is an as used    situation     where it is used randomly   maybe you just use a generator and the plugs on the generator,   you can go as simple or complex as you want,  but for anything deemed long term   I would absolutely start looking around at solar panels   solar starter kits, wind generator starter kits,  storage batteries      and it needs not be major at this point but able to integrate down the road versus leaving it out intially and then coming back and wanting to put some kind of free energy in the picture,    

http://www.goalzero.com/emergency-prep

That link is a good to place to start and then get back to me with more details,   on what your long term plans are,    and how you intend to use the residence,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt