Electrical Wiring in the Home/Hooking up heater, wrong color wires

Question
Hi Bob-

Finished off the inside of my detached garage earlier this year with upgraded electrical, insulation, and sheetrock. Had the electrician run wires/conduit down from the ceiling for a 240v electric heater that I was going to purchase later. If it makes any difference I was going to have a outlet for a welder at first but changed my mind after he started as I would use a heater more that I would have used a welder.

This weekend I purchase a 240v ceiling mount electric heater with fan. In the process of hooking it up there are 4 wires in the conduit red, black, white, and bare copper. The instructions for the heater show that I need to hook up 2 separate back wires to the power block and a green or bare copper wire to the ground. I know the bare wire would be the ground but what other wire would be the "black" wire? Red or white? Do I do anything with the spare wire other than leave it taped up?

Thanks,
Jamie

Answer
Jim,

I don't know what wattage your heater is or the size of the line your electrician ran for the welder so I have to assume you know the line for the welder will handle the heater. Having said that you will use the bare copper wire from the panel for the bare or green grounding wire on the heater. You will use the red and black wires from the panel breaker to the two black wires on the heater. It does not matter which black wire you connect to the red or black. Tape the unused white wire and enjoy the heat.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman