Electrical Wiring in the Home/Limit on wattage for new chandelier?

I currently have a ceiling fan with an attached lighting fixture in my den. I want to take down the fan/lighting fixture and replace it with a chandelier (with no fan attached). I don't know the maximum amount of electricity the fan uses when it is on high speed. The attached lighting fixture uses four 60 watt bulbs for a total of 240 watts when it is on. Is there a limit to how many watts the replacement chandelier can use? Would it be okay to install a chandelier that puts out 500 watts of light? I want a lot of light from the chandelier, but I don't want it to use so much electricity that the other electrical devices on the same circuit (refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, etc.) can't be used at the same time without overloading the circuit. If there is a limit on how much electricity the new chandelier can use, how can I determine what the limit is? Do I need to hire an electrician to determine the limit for me?

The limit would be for everything on the circuit.  The stove and other items should not be on the same circuit.  If you want a lot of light without using too much capacity, you should use LED or CFL (fluorsecent) bulbs. The total allowed is 1800 watts on a 15 amp circuit or 2400 watts for a 20 amp circuit.  You should try to stay well under for a safety margin.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.