Electrical Wiring in the Home/upgrading a 15 amp 220 outlet to 60 amps

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

I need to plug in a kiln.  Itís specs follow.  I have a 15 amp 220 outlet that Iíd like to upgrade to 60 amps.  It is about a foot away from the breaker box in my garage.  It is the correct NEMA receptacle configuration.   I want to verify, I just need to replace the breaker with a 60 amp one and upgrade the wire size to 6 gauge, correct?

I have 150 amps coming into the house.  Should I turn off the breakers for the other 220 v circuits (50 amp range and 30 amp dryer) while I fire my kiln?

recommended electrical specifications listed in the owners manual:
Skutt KM-1027 kiln
240    Volts
48   Amps
11520   Watts
6    Copper Wire Size
60   Fuse or Breaker Size
6-50   NEMA Receptacle Configuration

Thanks,
Roselle

ANSWER: Roselle,

A 15 amp 220 Receptacle will not have the same NEMA # as a 60 for the simple reason the plug configurations are different as well as the amperage capacity so you will be upgrading everything including the size of the box in order to handle the much larger receptacle and bigger wires.

As far as turning off other breakers when you use the kiln, I don't know what other electrical loads you have in your home that are significant and could pose a potential problem. Your service will still have a 100 amps left for everything else when the kiln is on so I doubt you would have a problem. The worst that could happen is you trip the main circuit breaker. Again I doubt that will happen unless your house uses all elecric for heat and you have an electric dryer, and electric hot water heater.

Bob

QUESTION: Hi Bob,

I should have been more specific.  The breaker is 15 amp/220.  The receptacle says 250V 50Amp on it, and 6-50R.  I donít know what the R means.  I think I just need to upgrade the wire to 6 gauge and replace the breaker with a 60 amp one.  It seems straightforward.  I just wanted to check because its my first time doing it.

Thanks for the feedback on if I should turn off the other breakers.  I have teenagers in the house that may space on not being able to use all the appliances.  It sounds like I can take a chance on it if the worst that would happen would be that the main circuit breaker would trip.

I have a permit and it will be inspected.

I appreciate your feedback,
Roselle

Answer
Roselle,

Not a problem. The "R" refers to "receptacle" which is what it is. "p" would mean "plug".

Assuming the existing box is big enough for the new # 6 wires you would only have to upgrade the wire and the breaker. Make sure the plug is properly grounded to the box,it may be fine already just saying to check it.

Happy Kilning !

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman