Electrical Wiring in the Home/electrical. changing 240 to 120


Hi, hope alls well. Putting in new oven from electric to gas. I have 240 volt 50 amp 4 prong that I don't need anymore. Looks like 6 awg. Can I make this a 120 . Thank you

Yes and it is fairly straight forward.

At the breaker you will remove on of the hot wires from the double pole breaker and put a wire nut on it.

At the outlet you will take that same wire and put a wire nut on it.

Keep the white on the neutral and the ground on the ground.

Replace the 50 amp breaker with the appropriate breaker size for your stove.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Greg Hughes


Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.


34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.