Electrical Wiring in the Home/PK6060v hookup

Question
Ipicked up a Puma PK6060v air compressor and I m trying to hook it up and wondering if anyone can help. the motor says 115/208-230v and 30/16.2-14.7 Amps .
I am planning on setting a 220v receptacle, here are my questions
I tested my lines and I have each hot measures 120 - 124v , when using two of the hots that would add up to 240-248v
Q1 : how would I make sure to stay within 230v max as recommended.
Q2 : what type of wire should I get knowing that the distance from the main box to the guarage is almost 70feet.
Q3: the motor says max 16.2 amps , will a 20amps breaker be sufficient or should I go lower (is there lower than 20amps)

appreciate any help

Answer

You cant without having the utility come out and adjust the incoming taps on the transformer and it is not that far off,    motors all act differently   and it is very possible when you put your 240 on the motor the current may go down,          by the way any other issues in the house such as light bulbs not lasting,  flickering, dimming, brown outs?

If any of the above is occurring you need to contact the utility,  my voltage runs from 115 to 121    I monitor mine with a cleaner    but if it gets to staying up around 250 volts it could be a tap issue,     so if nothing else is going on,  get your splitter and amprobe so you can measure the running current,  if under load it is within 5-10% it should be fine,

Regular romex house wire,    because we won't know the running amps until you measure it,  

and the distance is almost  use  http://wireyourownhouse.com/tools/wiresize.html

Again we don't know the running amps,  but most likely you will need a 20 amp double pole breaker,    breakers do not protect devices,    they protect wire,    they are slow to trip on a motor,   a motor has inrush current     so if you go down in size you will get nuisance trips,   and a 15 would not likely hold it anyway,  if you can put a fuseable disconnect in front of the motor, and after the breaker,    with slow blow fuses sized at 175% of full load that is optimum for protecting a motor,  and put two fuses in.

You can get special breakers if that motor is the ONLY THING on the circuit,   but if you do that,  then have the supply house size it for you

Last good for you,  at least like most you did not just run whatever over and plug it in,    good job on the homework and research    any other issues  let me know,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt