Electrical Wiring in the Home/no power to one outlet only

Question
I plugged an iron into outlet, the iron stopped heating and now there is no power to this outlet only. when I touch light tester to black and white wire-nothing, but if I touch black wire and ground wire I have power. Can you tell me what my problem is?

Answer
The outlet could be in need of changing, a white wire could have come loose/broken/burnt, or you have a partially tripped breaker.

When checking power, one should use a volt meter so you know what exactly the voltage is from black to neutral and black to ground.

Sometimes a breaker will trip in a position that cannot be reset, or when reset it just does not make the proper contact.
If that is the case then the breaker has to be replaced and your circuit evaluated for the load it is carrying.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes