Electrical Wiring in the Home/Puma PK6060v setup

Question
picked up a Puma PK6060v and I m trying to hook it up and wondering if anyone can help. the motor says 115/208-230v and 30/16.2-14.7 Amps .
I am planning on setting a 220v receptacle, here are my questions
I tested my lines and I have each hot measures 120 - 124v , when using two of the hots that would add up to 240-248v
Q1 : how would I make sure to stay within 230v max as recommended.
Q2 : what type of wire should I get knowing that the distance from the main box to the guarage is almost 70feet.
Q3: the motor says max 16.2 amps , will a 20amps breaker be sufficient or should I go lower (is there lower than 20amps)

appreciate any help

Answer
Robert Wilber
Licensed Philadelphia Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
Electricity is dangerous!
You can be injured or killed!
Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death!
Are you qualified to do this work?
*
National Electrical Code definition, NFPA 70 2008 Article 100: Qualified Person. "One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."
*
Electricity is fire in a box!
*
Always check with the local “Authority Having Jurisdiction” for an official interpretation before making installation decisions.
*
In Philadelphia, it is unlawful for anyone except an individual licensed by the City of Philadelphia to install electrical equipment and wiring.
Homeowners are not allowed to install wiring.
The owner of any property wherein any such installation is discovered shall be issued a violation by the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
The limited exceptions include replacing devices and fixtures at existing outlets.
Contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections for more information.
*
You are more likely to be killed by 120 volts than any other voltage [120 volts creates the PERFECT fatal current through the human body's electrical resistance!]
TURN THE POWER OFF WHEN WORKING!
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
This information is provided for the use of parties as they see fit!
I am not responsible for the application of this information by any party, including those lacking sufficient skill or knowledge to perform these steps safely and any hazard created is the SOLE responsibility of the user.
*
That all being said....

Question:
picked up a Puma PK6060v and I m trying to hook it up and wondering if anyone can help. the motor says 115/208-230v and 30/16.2-14.7 Amps . I am planning on setting a 220v receptacle, here are my questions I tested my lines and I have each hot measures 120 - 124v , when using two of the hots that would add up to 240-248v
You have no control over the voltage so as to stay within the stated "max" What the 208/230 means is that the motor will run on either 208 or 230 nominal/240/whatever is being delivered

Q2 : what type of wire should I get knowing that the distance from the main box to the guage is almost 70feet.
This question is more appropriate after the discussion of current

A 20 amp breaker would not be adequate at 16.2 amps if the compressor is running continuously for more than four hours, so if you will have the motor running non-stop you would have to allow for 20.25 amps [125% of load], which means 30 amps, like it or not, and 10 gauge wire.
HOWEVER, that 16.2 amp value is for operation at 208 volts, not 240. At 240 [or your 248 or nominal 230] volts the current would be 14.7 amps, which would require only 12 gauge wire. Voltage drop using the formula Vd=KIL/CSA would give 11*14.7*(2*70)/6529 or a voltage drop of 3-1/2 volts, which is excellent.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber