Electrical Wiring in the Home/120v/ 20amp circuit

Question
QUESTION: New micro/convection oven calls for a 120v/20amp circuit, 12/3 wire. Sounds like I will need to install two separate breakers in the panel, one for the black and one for red? Or can this be done with one double breaker?

ANSWER: No, it needs a single breaker with wire large enough to carry 20 amps whatever distance,   and a 20 amp breaker.

It's the same as a typical 15 amp breaker only this must be one hell of a microwave.

Remember  breakers protect the wire so the wire to the microwave must be large enough for the 20 amps for whatever distance and then it is a single pole typical breaker at 20 amps.

NOW The existing wire might be big enough to handle 20 amps but I don't know the distance,  if it is good for 20 amps  then all you need is a 20 amp breaker.

A double breaker is no help because it is the wire size and each conductor must handle 20 amps.

http://electrical.about.com/od/wiringcircuitry/a/electwiresizes.htm

Above has a wire chart   the distance is probably OK   not many houses have 200 feet runs, so it really boils down to what wire size is in the existing outlet,

Outlets are already parallel so we cannot combine them,  unless for some weird reason you have a double outlet on two circuits but that would a special and I doubt it,     Check your wire size in your existing outlet where you current microwave is  and maybe it is big enough,  

Another thought,   maybe trade it back in for a 15 amp unit, it depends on the age of your house most newer houses have the capacity to run 20 amp circuits,    so be sure and check,  it might be a simple thing pull a new circuit, or it might be a hell of a fight,    but most microwave circuits on newer homes are capable of 20 amps,     

Any questions or problems let me know   

QUESTION: Sorry I didn't mention that this is a remodel and a new circuit just for this micro/convection oven (about a 18 foot run). The micro has a four wire connection, ground, black, red, white. The installation directions call for 120v, 20a, 12/3 wire.  My question centers on how to connect to panel, one breaker or two?

Thanks for your response,

Tim

Answer
I completely missed micro/convection,  but this is a good question and it could go either way,  most times red means 240 is brought to the appliance and split up there, but yours says 120 volt 12/3 wire,  that suggests it is for the entire appliance,  but I don't think so,  

Can you send me the make and model so I can read the install guide,  I want to see what they are trying to do,      besides confusing the crap out of both of us,     

Manuals anymore are written in some kind of format nobody understands,    I have read that two circuits are needed on GE,  one on Samsung,  one on others but it was 240  therefore the red wire,     but like you say   are they asking you to use the red as one 120 circuit and black for the other  but with four wires, when it says three?

Send to my personal email  wbwill@sbcglobal.net     give me make model,  serial  should be enough   I will figure this out,        they got into all this neutral bonding stuff, and ever since it has been a mess for everyone,    I am OK with the theory but how they explain it is impossible sometimes,    so we want to be sure,        

Send me that info and I will figure it out and explain it    sorry I missed the convection part but it is still telling you go left and right  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt