Electrical Wiring in the Home/Circuit Breaker

Question
Something happened this morning that has me worried. I have a small space heater on the floor of my car that's connected to a timer which is plugged into a bar cord in the garage. I plug it in at night and the timer goes off a few hours before I leave for work. The heater is pointed upward and it's reasonably safe to use. However, this morning I did it differently and plugged it in after I started my car. The temp was -21 and the cord was very stiff. I think when I slammed the car door on the stiff cord it broke the insulation. When I picked it up to unplug it the sparks flew and burned the cord in half. What worries me is, it didn't kick a breaker. Shouldn't the breaker kick when there's a short like that? The bar cord didn't kick either so I wonder if the timer might have fried and closed the circuit instead of the breaker? Is there a possibility that the breaker malfunctioned and maybe I should replace it? Thanks Bob!! Steve

Answer
Steve,

Sometimes the duration and intensity of a short circuit may not be enough to trip the breaker. This is where "arc fault" breakers come in. This breaker is designed to "see" faults like yours as a problem and trip the breaker. It sense's the erratic sparking and trips the breaker. While a regular brerak will not do this unless enough current passes by the breaker long enough to trip it.

If you would feel better about changing the breaker to dispel any doubts about wether its defective or not you can certainly do that but I beleive thats why the breaker did not trip.

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman