Electrical Wiring in the Home/How to connect a kiln?

Question

I would like to connect a kiln directly to a 40 AMPS sub-panel.  The Kiln is 240 volt drawing 30 AMPS according to specs.  I fished a #8 wire from the mail panel to the room where the Kiln will be located.  The kiln own power cord has only three wires green, white and black.  The wire going to the sub-panel has 4, ground, red black and white.  How do I connect the #8 to the sub-panel breaker and then the kiln to the breaker?  Do I need a one switch breaker or a dual switch?

Answer
Be sure to double check the kiln as it appears this may be a 120 volt kiln with a white wire as part of the cord, but if it positively is a 240 volt, connect the black to black, the red to the white of the kiln cord and the grounds together and do not use the white from the panel to the kiln. You will need a double breaker for the kiln and connect the black to one connection of the breaker and the red to the other connection and the ground to the ground bar. Make sure the sub panel for sure is a 240 volt sub panel also if it is only a 40 amp sub panel. Thanks J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook