Electrical Wiring in the Home/GFCI on back splash wall wired to frig and micro???

I have two circuits along the black splash walls in the kitchen. The one on the sink wall trips all outlets along the sink wall and the one just around the corner from the sink. The GFCI outlet in question is 4 more feet away followed by a microwave outlet (3 feet away in a cabinet) then another 4 feet away is the frig outlet.

I am assuming this GFCI was installed to protect the outlet above the counter since it is within the immediate sink area (if you have 8 foot reach, sorry I don't know our code here...yet)

When I trip it the GFCI the outlets in the GFCI stay hot but the frig (outlet) and micro (outlet) go off.

This does not seem correct. I would expect the GFCI outlet and all down stream outlets to be off.
1. does this set up sound correct if so why?
2 Should a frig be on a GFCI in the first place?
3. Can I replace the GFCI with a regular outlet?
Other comments observations would be appreciated.

If the cabinet the receptacle is inside of does not sit on the counter then the receptacle does not serve the counter top and there fore need not be GFI protected. If this same receptacle supplies power to a "built in" microwave that is typically over a stove as opposed to one that sits on a counter or in a cabinet above the counter, this receptacle is not GFI protected either but it must be on its own 20 amp circuit and not on either of the dedicated small appliance circuits. In other words a micro wave that is designed to sit on a counter or on the shelf of a cabinet can be plugged into either of the 2 small appliance circuits and does not have to be GFI protected.

1.) When the GFI trips all the down stream receptacles it protects should go off as well as the GFI receptacle itself. In other words the tripped GFI receptacle should not be on but off like the down stream receptacles it protects

2.) No

3.) No all receptacle's that serve the counter top must be GFI protected.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.