Electrical Wiring in the Home/Hooking Generator to House Square D box

Meter Main
Meter Main  

Meter tag
Meter tag  
Ok here is the deal my house has an outside main fuse box and 2 fuse boxes inside the basement. We have a sewage pump that pumps our sewage to the street.  In case our power ever goes out for days I want the ability to plug up a generator to our outside fuse box so we can run minimal appliances inside but especially the sewage pump.  Can you tell me exactly what transfer switch I should buy?  My father in law has a generator that I can hook up via a 220 outlet on his generator. I don't want anything automatic just something I can flip a switch and plug in the generator and feed the house. I also have a friend that is an electrician that can help me hook up whatever I end up buying. I just want to buy the most economical switch.  I may never use it but want the ability just in case.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I need a picture of the 2 panels in the basement with the doors open.

It appears there is a main breaker for each inside panel in the outside "meter main" or is one of the main breakers for the two panels inside and the other main breaker is for the outside panel that currently has no breakers in the 8 spaces provided.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.