Electrical Wiring in the Home/L5-30 to L14-30 Wiring

I just installed a Reliance ProTran manual transfer switch on my home. It is a 6 circuit switch that contains (4) 15amp 120V circuits and (2) 20amp 120V circuits [the 20 amp can be combined for 240V if wanted). It has (3) circuits linked to an analog wattage meter per "side" of the switch. The supplied female connector is L14-30 (the 4 wire Green, White, Black & Red). Naturally Green is Ground and White is Neutral. Black supplies Hot to one "side" of the switch and Red supplies Hot to the other "side".
My problem is the generator set-up I have. It is:
- Honda 2000i companion and Honda 2000i standard.
- They pair together via Honda's pairing kit.
- The connector on the companion is L5-30 (typical RV set-up)

I want to run:
- ONLY 120V circuits (refrigerator, radiant flooring, a few lights, etc…)
- I do want to use all 6 circuits

My thought is to:
- Make an adapter cord for L5-30 to L14-30 and wire it:
  *Green to Ground
  *White to Neutral
  *Black & Red combined to Hot

Will this work and is it safe, etc…?

You will need:  10-4 "SJ" cord, which has white, black, red, green wires. One L5-30 male plug to plug into the female receptacle from the generators. One L14-30 female receptacle that will plug into the male plug on the transfer switch.

The L14-30 you will connect the green to the green screw, the white to the silver screw, the black to either of the brass screws and the red to the remaining brass screw.

The L5-30 you will connect the green to the green screw, white to the silver screw and both the red and black wires will go to the one brass screw.

Yes it is safe. Your just supplying the same 120 volt output from the paired generators to both sides of the transfer switch.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.