Electrical Wiring in the Home/lilghting problem with colonial chandelier

Question
hi J Cook!

My colonial chandelier has 8 bulbs, the E12 type. One of them has failed...the bulb turns ON together with the others, but quickly turns OFF and stays off. If I play with the bulb, tilting it this way and that, it comes ON for an instant, but then turns OFF again.
I've decided that the socket needs to be replaced. My questions to you:
#1-how do I remove the socket? Do I just lift it out after disconnecting the black and white wires?
#2-How do I know how to reconnect the 2 wires? Which color wire goes to which screw on the socket?
#3-Along with a new socket, there is a cylindrical piece, made of thin cardboard, that fits over the socket. Is this item of any use? Must I keep it over the socket?

Your reply is appreciated.

Chris

Answer
Chris every manufacturer is different. With the power or switch off I would experiment to see how it will remove. The new screws should be identifiable by color, the nuetral white wire will connect to the silver screw and the black to the gold or brass screw. Again some manufacturers do not clearly indentify the screws, but the center of the socket in every bulb socket is the black hot wire and the threaded shell is the nuetral. Thanks Chris, J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook