Electrical Wiring in the Home/mobile home hook up

Question
QUESTION: Bob, i have a 200 amp service panel on the exterior of a barn. only lights and receptacles in barn. I am setting a double wide mobile home next to it. The distance from the panel to the mobile home will be +- 30'. There is a panel inside the mobile home as normal. How should I get power to the mobile home? Do I move the exterior panel next to the mobile home? Can I put a sub panel or something like that between the two? Need your advise. Thanks, Steve

ANSWER: Steve,

Is there some sort of cable or conduit on the outside of the trailer that goes to the panel inside the trailer ? In other words do you have to bring a new line directly into the panel or is there a cable or conduit accessible below the trailer that can be spliced into ?

Bob

QUESTION: I bought it from an individual, it is hook up, underground service, so there will be the wires coming from the home available when I get it set.

ANSWER: Yes I understand but what I'm trying to find out is where do you as the new owner have to bring the new line TO on the trailer regardless of wether it is brought to the trailer under ground or over head. Some where on the trailer, probably underneath there is a cable hanging that you will connect to or you may have to run the new line all the way to the panel inside the trailer.  I am assuming there is a cable or conduit under the trailer some where that was disconnected and left hanging when it was disconnected and brought to your place. This is what I need to know before I can answer your question.

Bob

QUESTION: The 30' in the first question is the distance from my 200 amp panel to the end of the electrical connections coming out of the trailer. So, can I just splice into the existing wire from the trailer and run to the panel or some other way? Sorry for the confusion.

Answer
Yes you can.

Run a new line the 30'from the 200 amp panel to where the existing wire is on the trailer and splice it out at that point in the appropriate sized weather proof junction box. The new line must match (wire size) what is there now assuming it was done correctly. There should be 4 wires if its a plastic sheathed cable. At least 3 wires if its metal cable or conduit. If it is 3 wires,the metal cable or conduit is being used as the "grounding" means in the same way the bare or insulated green wire is in a cable assembly. The size of the wire in the cable or pipe will determine the size breaker you put in the 200 amp panel as well as the size of the wire you run from the 200 amp panel.

If you want, send me a close up picture of the end of the cable or conduit on the trailer that goes to the panel in the trailer. Also let me know if there is a main breaker in the panel in the trailer.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman