Electrical Wiring in the Home/Multiple Neutral Identification in EMT

Question
For the first time I am doing a wiring job using EMT in my garage. I want to run two circuits in a conduit. I have the NEC 2014 code but cannot find anything on identification of the neutrals. Section 200.4 does not give any guidance for wire color of neutrals. 200.6 mentions grey or white as identification for ground wire and no mention of green. I was very surprised with white for a ground.

My intent is to use black and red as hot's and white and grey as neutral's. And I am running a single green ground which I understand is optional with EMT.

Question is this all correct and what am I missing in the code.

John

Answer
The conduit itself with the correct fittings can be used as the ground. Personally I have NEVER used the conduit as the ground. If a fitting loosens or the conduit is damaged you loose the ground. I always use a separate green ground conductor. You are correct on 200.6 A, it gives a number of color descriptions that can be used for the neutral, the neutral and ground are two separate conductors. The neutral is to carry the load imbalance and the ground is for personnel protection and is always green or a conductor with a green stripe. There is a major difference in the grounded conductor which is the neutral and a ground. Article 250.119 will give the specifics for identification of a grounding conductor. Thanks J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook