Electrical Wiring in the Home/Stealing electricty from an out for a ceiling fan

I have a ceiling fan that I want to put in my basement. I have access to power from a close by outlet. I intend to use separate switches for the fan and light (one each) out of the same box. I will only have one double gang box to turn on the fan/light. So, I will not have a classic 3 way wiring set-up for more than one switch to turn on the light or fan. Thanks for your help.

Make sure that the outlet is a general lighting outlet. You are not allowed to tap off an outlet used for a washing machine, kitchen outlet, etc.  If the circuit is 20 amps, be sure to use 12 gauge wire.  Run the wire from the outlet to the switched.  You can run 12/3 (14/3 if it is 15 amps) wire between the switches and the fan.  At the switches, the 2 white wires connect to each other.  The black wire coming from the outlet will need to connect to one screw on each switch.  The red and black going to the fan each connect to one switch screw.  At the fan, the whites connect together.  The blacks connect together.  The red connects to the blue or striped wire going to the light.  At all locations, the bare ground wires connect to each other, any green wires, and green screws, and to any metal boxes.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.