Electrical Wiring in the Home/Sub panel Generator ground

Question
Hello,
I have a detached garage with a 60A sub panel it is grounded at the garage (as I believe to be required by code). I plan to put a generator in the garage (to keep it from disappearing) and back feed through the garage sub panel to a transfer switch inside the house.

Does code allow to ground the generator at the sub panel or am I required to provide a ground back to the house?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
JC

Answer
JC,

Your question is really a moot point because you can not back feed a generator into an existing electrical system the way you are proposing or any other way for that matter. Some folks try to do it through a dryer receptacle or the way your saying but either way its illegal to do and potentially dangerous. If you burn your house down or electrocute a utility lineman your in serious trouble.

The correct way to do it is installing a transfer switch by the main panel where it is not possible to have the generator "back feed" into the utility system and your electrical system can only be hooked up to the utility or the generator but never both at the same time.
There are a few different ways this can be done legally but using an "interlock kit" is the simplest and easiest way to go about doing it. Just look up "interlock kit" and you can read all about how it works but thats probably the best solution for you.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman