Electrical Wiring in the Home/110v ac wiring

Question
J, I would like to get just your opinion on something.
I live in a 1960's era house which had a lot of wiring added by previous owners and obviously were not professionals. I noticed they installed 110v romex wiring 14ga for additional lights or outlets in an unfinished side of a basement. They stapled the wires with regular non-insulated staples. I have been going around and pulling these out and putting in the staples with plastic insulation.
There are some areas which would take a lot of time and effort to get to for access behind insulation and having to move things.
Obviously they have been in place for many years.
In your opinion, how risky is leaving these staples in place or would you be concerned having this in your own home?
Thank you in advance

Answer
Joe, it is difficult to know, but the staples installed may have been the legal method of securing it at that time or in that jurisdiction. If the wiring is not susceptible to damage and is not tripping circuits I would not be concerned. In my opinion, if the staples for some reason were pressed hard enough to the cable to create damage, it would trip the circuit. I have seen a romex connector tightened so tight it did not penetrate the insulation, but would short the two wires together and trip the circuit. Thanks for asking, J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook