Electrical Wiring in the Home/adding 110 circuits to 240 line

Question
QUESTION: I have a 240 line from a previous Hot Tub that I would like to use to power outlets in a new room that I am constructing where the Hot Tub used to be.
Can you advise how I proceed?  I have installed circuits before including new breakers, so have a little ( dangerous) knowledge !

Regards
Mike Thornton
Vancouver

ANSWER: It can be done, but is usually not practical.  You would have to connect the thick wire to outlets made to accept 12 gauge wire.  You would need to change the breakers to 15 or 20 amp. If the wire is 3 conductor plus ground, you can use two circuits.  However, it would need to be a double pole breaker, and if the white wire comes loose, the voltage will change on both circuits, one up and one down. If it is 2 wires plus ground, you could get only one circuit, but you would need a single pole breaker.

If you need more information, please ask a follow up question with how many circuits you can use, and how many outlets, what you are using them for, etc.

QUESTION: I was going to put an electric 120v wall heater, a couple of outlets (plugs) and some lights in this new room.  As I have no way to string new wires from the Breaker box, I had the not so brilliant idea of using an otherwise useless circuit !!
The wire is indeed 3 plus ground and in the Breaker box it shows two 50 amp switches joined together, if I'm reading it right?

Answer
You should replace the breaker with a 20 amp breaker.  Put a junction box at the cable, and you can have one circuit for the heater, and one for everything else.  Connect all the white wires together.  Connect one black wire from one circuit to the thick black, and the other black wire to the red thick wire.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle