Electrical Wiring in the Home/Amps / kw cir. breaker

Question
QUESTION: I have a new GE Wall oven.  The rating on the unit is 240v - 4.2 kw which on their chart is the lowest number. 20 amp breaker.  Do they want me to run a 12/3 wire from a single 20 amp breaker or do 20 amp breaker come in 240v ?  oven has a black wire, red wire, the white and ground are connected together.

I will be running a new wire. Less than 40'.

ANSWER: Brent,

There seems to be some confusion. You say the voltage rating on the unit is 240 volts yet you also say there are 4 wires, black, red, white, green, which strongly suggests this unit requires a neutral (white wire) for 120 volts. In other words it appears the oven requires 240/120 volts to operate. Check the "name plate" info again or better yet just give me the model #

Bob

QUESTION: Yes four wires. black one says on it 14 awg.  the three colored wires are silver and the ground is copper.   Model # JT1000DF2BB   name plate has kw 4.2 next to that  120/240 60 HZ

Answer
Ok that confirms it. You need 12-3 going to the oven. Blk to blk, red to red, wt to wt, bare ground wire to green. You will separate the green and the
white in the oven.  You need a 2 pole 20 amp breaker for the panel. Blk and red connected to the breaker. White and bare ground connected to where the other white and bare wires are connected if its your Main panel not a sub panel.

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman