Electrical Wiring in the Home/Ceiling Fan installation

I am replacing a light in our entryway that is controlled by three switches.  When I installed my ceiling fan I followed the directions connecting each wire as specified, but it does not work.  Where am I going wrong?  How do I get the fan to operate?

I live in a bi-level home.  The light is inside our front door and controlled by a switch beside this door, one at the top of the steps, and one at the bottom of the steps.  There is another light on this circuit as well at the bottom of the steps.  Can I split out the light at the bottom of the steps to it's own switch?  If so, how do I do this?

You should connect the fan exactly as the light fixture was hooked up. If you did that, and it does not work, the wire may not be making contact at the wire nut, the switch on the fan may be off, or it may be defective.

Hooking the light on a separate switch would involve running new wires behind the walls.  It would be hard to tell you how to do it, because there are so many ways to wire a 4 way circuit with multiple lights.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.