Electrical Wiring in the Home/ceiling fan wiring

Question
QUESTION: Hi Bob.   I am replacing a ceiling fan, and am at the point where I am wiring it up.   The new fan has a green wire both on the mounting bracket and the motor.   I have already connected those.  Also there is a black and a blue wire (fan and light I assume) coming from the motor, and I have connecte those to the black wire in the ceiling box.

But I stopped when I see two white wires coming from the ceiling box.   One of them is pliable, and I think this is the normal common wire, but the other one, while white, is very hard (stiff) and has some coils still bent into it like it was previous curled around a screw for grounding.

Any idea what this is?   I am thinking it is a ground wire and I can just cap it off and leave it alone and use the green wires for grounding, but then again I am nervous about not grounding something.

I hope this explains in enough detail.   I could provide a picture if you need it.

ANSWER: It sounds like it should not be connected, but if you can send me a picture, I can get a better idea.

Thanks.

Bob

ignore:

extra white wire
extra white wire  
QUESTION: here is a picture.   In my fingers is the wire I am asking about.   It is not an insulated wire, and I am pretty sure it is normally just a bare wire.  It is about the guage of a clotheshanger.  it appears the white on it is paint.

I appreciate this.

Answer
That is the ground wire coming in.  It's white because the painters painted it when they painted the room.  It connects to the green wires, and any other metal parts, such as the junction box. You can use wire nuts on it.  If there is any paint on it where you connect it, be sure to scrape the paint off.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle