Electrical Wiring in the Home/Changing hard wiring to plug in on security lights

Question
We live in a rural setting and are needing to install a security light on our shop. The problem is that it is not hard wired for an outside light. We have a 500 watt halogen outdoor light that we would like to install however it would require changing it from a hard wired light to a plug in light. Are there any special requirements to do this for a 500 watt light such as a special cord or changing the amp of the outlet it will be plugged into?
I have rewired lights before so that I not a problem it is just knowing the requirements, if any, for that high of a wattage.

Thank you

Answer
Bobbi, as you understand the technical needs involved, I will not go into detail as to the nature or options of installing such a device.

Unfortunately, the installation will be governed by the NEC, and any modifications to the NEC, regarding the installation in your particular area.

There should be, even in a rural area, a governing agency who would have the details of any and all required code requirements, regarding this installation.

As you have previous experience, it will be the same considerations as a light of lesser wattage.

Common sense and good judgement, in my opinion, will likely provide a more secure and safe install than those of any local inspectors, but to meet local code, and insurance requirements,  you will have to follow any and all NEC code dates, along with any local amendments to the code dates of the NEC, and any specific requirements that are required that the NEC may or may not require.

I wish I could be more help, but each jurisdiction has their own selection of dated NEC codes and some sort of governing body that modifies or follows the NEC stipulations.

A good source for information as to what is required as the install, is your property insurance representative.  They would have knowledge of the agency that would be in control of the particulars of this installation.

Your own experience will be suitable for following the Requirements, be it corded changes or just what your local agency deems necessary.

That is where I would start to make sure the install is installed in the manner deemed necessary and also cover you with your insurance carrier should there ever be any type of incident.

It is critical that the install meet the local requirements as to prevent any chance of a claim denial or partial responsibility  should there ever be a fault or failure and insurance coverage needed to provide coverage.

As to the technical end, it is no different than any other halogen install, the clearances and mounting configurations should come with the lamp,  but you will need to make sure you follow whatever or whomever is the local agency in charge of NEC codes, and any deviation to them.

If it gets to be a technical questions, let me know, it should be fairly straight forward, an and again common sense, good judgement, and experience are probably better choices than any local requirements, but you do not want to have an installation that does not meet local codes in the unlikely event of any insurance related incidents.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt