Electrical Wiring in the Home/Circuit keeps tripping

Question
We recently had a bathroom leak which flowed into the ceiling below. In the cleanup/demo phase the crew overloaded a 20amp circuit with floor fans, and now the circuit breaker trips immediately when I reset it. Is it worth trying to replace the circuit breaker before having an electrician replace the entire circuit? Currently (no pun intended) nothing is plugged in to the circuit, but it still trips. I believe that circuit only has two outlets and three canister lights, which were not in the area of the leakage.

Answer
To see if the breaker is defective, disconnect the wire from it, and see if it still trips. If it does, the breaker should be replaced.  If it doesn't, there is a short in the wiring. Resetting a tripping breaker could be a fire hazard, so be careful. Did any of that circuit get wet? That could be the problem. The whole circuit should not need replacing.  Just where the problem is.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle